The American College of Surgeons “Surgical Patient Education” Web page contains educational information to help you and your families become informed about your operation and surgical care. In viewing the Surgical Patient Education site, you will find the most current information about surgical procedures, diseases, tests, medications and pain management from government and professional sources to support you in participating in your surgical care. As the largest international organization of surgeons, The American College of Surgeons is dedicated to improving the care of the surgical patient.
The ACS Patient Education site includes the following resources and much more:
- Information on numerous surgical procedures
- Ostomy skills training with a link to order a home training kit
- Information on lung surgery
- Cancer resources
- Preparation for surgery and recovery
- A medical library
- Information on critical care and end of life decisions
- Bariatric (weight loss) care
- Pediatric procedures
- Medication and pain resources and more.
Click the links below for help with specific issues.
Patient education materials on some common surgical procedures: